Saturday, May 17, 2014

Sukiyaki at Misai

When I first stumbled upon Misai years ago, it was right after I came back from a trip to Japan where I discovered Japanese hot pot aka Sukiyaki!!  I got back to Calgary and couldn't stop thinking about this delicious dish and wondered if I would ever be able to have it again. I searched high and low, east and west and finally found Misai -- all-you-can-eat Sukiyaki! Disclaimer: Since then they no longer offer the all-you-can-eat option but the serving they have is more than enough for a 2 person date.

So years passed by and very recently I decided to stop by Misai once again for that delicious Japanese hot pot. Just like the first time, the server cooked the meal at our table: first he melted some butter in the pan then sautéed some onions and veggies and poured the soy sauce broth into the pan. We waited for the soup to boil and then we added some thinly sliced beef and, voila! yummy in my tummy!

Soup base cooked at the table
Check out the marble on this beef
More goodies for the pot
The sukiyaki experience this time was not as good as before. Don't get me wrong, it was still delicious but it was different. As I had mentioned, it was no longer all-you-can-eat beef but instead they offer you other things to put into the pot. I like the traditional beef and cabbage combo but now you can add tofu, radish, squash and spinach -- more of the Chinese hot pot style. This is probably because the management has shifted since I first discovered this place.

We've tried some other items on the menu but I'm not a fan of their other dishes, I only go here for the hot pot dish. So if you are looking for good sushi I would recommend another place. 

Misai Japanese on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment